Ringing in the New Year took on new meaning in Hickory, NC when a family was saved by their working smoke alarm. For all the fire safety personnel that sometimes wonder if all the hours of smoke alarm canvassing and home visits are worth it- Hickory Fire Department just got the answer- A resounding YES. On Wednesday morning, a family of four was awakened during the night to the sound of their smoke alarm. Little did they know that their chimney had ignited and set the whole house on fire.
If a two-story house in Weymouth, Massachusetts, had not had working smoke alarms, the outcome of a recent fire could have been far different. Smoke alarms alerted the people living in the home to a fire in the attic. Everyone was able to escape safely. According to the Weymouth News, the fire department got the 911 call at about 4 in the morning. Fire crews located the fire in the walls and ceiling of the attic. The blaze appears to have been caused by faulty electrical work.
Fire officials say the blaze is a reminder about the importance of checking smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms regularly.